Gardens and Pet Toxicity

Changing Seasons Bring Budding Poisons and Allergies

Gardens and Pet Toxicity

Changing Seasons Bring Budding Poisons and Allergies

With warmer weather and lovely plants in bloom, summer is the perfect season to enjoy quality time outdoors in the yard or garden with your pet. But changing seasons also bring budding poisons and blossoming allergies in the form of plants and flowers. Follow these simple tips to make sure that your pet stays safe and healthy this summer.

Check Before You Plant

As lovely and fragrant as they are, many flowers and plants can be poisonous — even deadly — to pets if ingested. Lilies, azaleas, and sago palms are just a few common plants that are toxic to pets. Ask your veterinarian for a complete list of plants and flowers to avoid.

Be Mindful Of Your Mulch

Commercial mulch sometimes contains cocoa bean shells, which many dogs can’t seem to resist. The chemicals and caffeine that are naturally present in cocoa can be very dangerous to pets if ingested. Make sure that any mulch you buy for the garden is free of cocoa bean shells.

Fertilizers

dog and flowers

Some fertilizers only cause mild stomach upset if ingested.  Others, especially those containing iron, bone/blood meal, or insecticides, can cause serious poisoning or pancreatitis in pets. It is always best to keep fertilizer products out of pet’s reach. 

Allergy Alert!

Your sinuses may tell you when seasons have changed, but did you know that pets can suffer from seasonal allergies, too? If your pet displays symptoms like skin irritation, hair loss, ear infections, excessive sneezing or runny nose, make an appointment to see your veterinarian.