Pet Cancer Early Warning Signs
Tips From the American Veterinary Medical Association
It's a sobering reality: Cancer is the leading cause of death in dogs and while it's not as prominent in cats, it's often a more aggressive form of cancer.
You can be your pet's advocate when it comes to treating cancer early on by spotting the telltale signs.
Contact your veterinarian if your dog or cat displays any of these signs of possible cancer. Remember, early detection is critical in the fight against pet cancer.
- Abnormal swellings that persist or continue to grow.
- Sores that do not heal.
- Weight loss.
- Loss of appetite.
- Bleeding or discharge from any body opening.
- Offensive odor.
- Difficulty eating or swallowing.
- Hesitation to exercise or loss of stamina.
- Persistent lameness or stiffness.
- Difficulty breathing, urinating or defecating.