Raisin and Grape Toxicity in Pets
These Juicy Snacks Can Seriously Harm Dogs
Pet owners may think that fruits and veggies make great snacks for pets; the truth is some can be harmful—and even toxic—to your dog.
Beware of Grapes and Raisins
According to Pet Poison Helpline, grapes and raisins have been known to cause acute renal (kidney) failure in dogs that have ingested large amounts.
With kidney failure, a pet’s ability to produce urine decreases, which means they are unable to filter toxins out of their system. Unfortunately, the reason for kidney failure and the amount of grapes/raisins necessary to be toxic to pets is unknown, so all cases of ingestion have the potential to be grave. Depending on the size of the dog, as little as four grapes/raisins can have an adverse effect on your fuzzy friend.
All Grapes Are Potentially Hazardous
It’s still unclear what makes grapes/raisins dangerous to pets. Bacteria or fungus that grows on grapes and the pesticides or fertilizers used in the growing process have been named as culprits for the onset of renal failure. However, dogs have reacted to both commercially- and home-grown grapes, which mean that whether they are store-bought, fresh from the vine or dried (raisins), all are potentially dangerous to your pet.
Prevent Poisoning In the Home
Pet owners should avoid leaving grapes and raisins on countertops or any place where a pet can snatch one when they’re not looking. Pet owners should also avoid giving their dogs cookies that contain raisins, or even chocolate or yogurt-covered raisins as treats. It’s also important parents educate their children on what types of foods are not okay to feed Fido.
Most affected dogs that have ingested grapes have various symptoms, including lethargy, decreased appetite, muscle weakness, diarrhea, abdominal pain and shivers. To accurately diagnose renal failure, a veterinarian will have to take a blood and urine sample from your pet.
As always, if your pet is showing any signs of unusual behavior or any of the symptoms listed above, call your veterinarian immediately. The earlier the problem is identified and the appropriate treatment is started, the better the outcome will be.
Treating Grape Toxicity in Dogs
Depending on how recent the ingestion of grapes/raisins is, your veterinarian may induce vomiting in your pet and administer an activated form of charcoal to absorb any excess toxins in your pet’s body. Aggressive treatment, such as intravenous fluid therapy and medications—and possibly even dialysis—may be needed to help keep your pet’s kidneys functioning.
Regardless of the treatment options, veterinary bills can become expensive very quickly. With a Nationwide pet insurance policy, you get reimbursement coverage for your pet's eligible medical treatments, surgeries, lab fees, X-rays, prescriptions and more, so that you can make optimal healthcare decisions for your pet based on your veterinarian's recommendation, rather than on the cost of treatment. Want to learn more? Click here.